Reducing carbon emissions and IT waste is now essential and everyone must do their bit in reducing it. Some of these tips aren’t complex or expensive in fact some can even save you money.
So here are our 10 top tips in reducing CO2 and IT waste
- Don’t order 1000’s of letterheads, which end up just laying around getting crumpled and dirty. Get someone to design one as a word template and just print them as and when you need them.
- Switch on energy saving features on computers, monitors, TV’s, printers, fax machines, etc.
- Switch off computers and monitors when you are not using them (especially businesses at the weekend!)
- Recycle every piece of paper (remember every page has 2 sides so use them both – even for scrap or note taking)
- Where possible recycle your toner and ink cartridges
- Switch to a renewable green energy supplier, you will reduce your carbon footprint contribution from electricity to zero
- If you have staff that don’t need to go into an office consider letting them work from home.
- Upgrade computers only if you need to and when buying new IT equipment make sure it is low energy consumption and has an ENERGY STAR rating label
- Consider what you might call old someone else might call new and donate old IT equipment to charities like computers for Africa http://www.computers4africa.org
- Unplug notebook and mobile phone chargers when not in use (these draw energy when you leave them plugged in!)
These are our top 10 tips in helping reducing your carbon footprint and waste, for more information please visit the Carbon Footprint website.