Customer’s frequently ask me, “What is my Microsoft Account?”. So I thought I would explain with this simple little post.
A Microsoft Account is the generic name given to ALL Microsoft’s services and is used to access thsose services, so if you have OneDrive, Office365, Hotmail, Microsoft Live, Outllook.com, Skype, or Xbox Live then you have a Microsoft Account.
Now we have got that out of the way, I would like to disperse a few myths about a Microsoft Account:
- You don’t need to setup a new email address to have a Microsoft Account you can use your own pre-existing email address.
- The same email address will be used to access all these services, you don’t need to create different account details.
- Yes Microsoft bought out Skype Inc. So if you have an old Skype account you can merge this with your Microsoft Account and then use your Microsoft Account to login to Skype but you do get to keep your Skype name.
Now for some top tips
- Always set your security info with a telephone number preferably a mobile so that you can easily unlock your account if you forget your password.
- Login to https://account.live.com to access your account details, security info, billing, subscriptions, etc.
- If you own a smartphone consider installing the Microsoft Account Authenticator [Google Play] [Apple App Store]. This app lets you quickly and securely verify your identity online, this way more easier and very simple to setup (see video below)
If you have any questions about how to setup a Microsoft Account or securing it, then comment in the box below.